Free Utility Softwares
Here is the list of various utility softwares that can be very helpful for a developer:
Flycut (Clipboard Manager)
Flycut is a clean and simple clipboard manager for developers. It’s based on an open source app called Jumpcut.
On the Mac, every time you copy a code piece, Flycut stores it in history. Later, you can paste it using Shift-Command-V even if you have something different in your current clipboard. You can change the hotkey and other settings in preferences.
To download click here: Flycut
Sourcetree (Git tool)
A free Git client for Windows and Mac. Sourcetree simplifies how you interact with your Git repositories so you can focus on coding. Visualize and manage your repositories through Sourcetree’s simple Git GUI.
To download click here: Sourcetree
LICEcap (GIF maker)
LICEcap can capture an area of your desktop and save it directly to .GIF (for viewing in web browsers, etc).
To download click here: LICEcap
Insomnia (API tool)
Rectangle (window resizer)
Move and resize windows in macOS using keyboard shortcuts or snap areas.
any.do (task/note planner)
Fantastic app for planning your day and future tasks. Organize your tasks, lists, and reminders in one easy to use the app. The best thing about Any.do, it syncs seamlessly across all your devices.
- See runtime values: Leave the Chrome console behind. RunJS shows you per-line results for your code as you type.
- Try new libraries: Quickly and easily install packages from NPM. This is really useful for learning a new library or just experimenting with a familiar one.
- Use modern syntax: Babel and TypeScript support enables you to write the most up-to-date syntax.
- Access Node and browser APIs: All the APIs that you’re familiar with in Node and the browser are available in RunJS. This gives you a huge amount of functionality to explore.
- Distraction free coding: Write code without distraction in a beautiful and simple interface. Choose from a great selection of themes and fonts to create an environment you’re comfortable with.
Google Chrome (Web browser)
Well I need not to say anything about chrome, it is amoung the most popular web browsers avalible.
Listing some of the useful Google Chrome Plugins
- LastPass (password manager)
- ColorZilla (color picker)
- DarkReader (dark mode setter)
- Awesome Screenshot (screenshot/screen-recording plugin)
- The Great Suspender (tab suspender)
- Toby (bookmark manager)
- Fika (reader mode)
- React Developer Tools
- Redux Dev Tools
Skype (professional meetings)
Skype is a telecommunications application that specializes in providing video chat and voice calls between computers, tablets, mobile devices, the Xbox One console, and smartwatches over the Internet. Skype also provides instant messaging services. Users may transmit text, video, audio and images.
Slack (professional chat)
Slack is a communication software that also has a lot of integrations to make your life easier, it is a must-have app for any developer. Slack has become the 1st preference as a comm. tool mostly for all startups. You can also automate many things using integrations and bots in slack.
Zoom (video meetings)
So after the lockdown due to pandemic it is really hard that you might not have heard the name Zoom. It is developed specially for conducting video confrences and works very smooth.
VS Code (IDE)
VS Code is one of the most popular and free open-source IDE with lots and lots of extensions to fulfill each developer’s need.
For complete VS Code setup: Setup VS code with essential extensions for web development
iTerm2 is a replacement for Terminal and the successor to iTerm. It works on Macs with macOS 10.12 or newer. iTerm2 brings the terminal into the modern age with features you never knew you always wanted.
For complete setup: Mac terminal complete setup with iTerm2 and ZSH
- Split Panes
- Hotkey Window
- Mouseless Copy
- Paste History
- Instant Replay
- Tagged Profiles
- 256 Colors (or more!)
- Mouse Reporting
- Notification Center Support
- Exposé Tab